Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Give Thanks with a Grateful Heart

It amazes me that as I begin pondering God's blessings in my life, there's just no end in sight! I was thinking about all those things I still wish to write about this Thanksgiving, and the list is positively endless!

How I praise God for those precious women He's placed in my life...those treasured friends who have faithfully been there throughout all the changing seasons. They have sharpened me, challenged me, encouraged me, and prayed for me. On many occasions, they've directed my wayward eyes to Jesus. Oh, how my heart prays that I do the same for them. As I count my blessings, my heart exclaims "thanks" for all those kindred spirits, both near and far. My life is infinitely richer because of them.

In addition to my parents (on whom I wrote a separate entry earlier this week), I'm so thankful for my "little" brother and his precious family. I give thanks for my sweet in-laws who raised such an incredible son. And I praise God for all those brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews that I inherited when I married my husband. Our family is such an immense blessing to us!

Our church family, likewise, is one of the greatest blessings of our lives. It is an absolute joy to walk through life with this dear body of believers. Tears fill my eyes as I meditate on 1 Corinthians 12. This one body has so many parts, and God is glorified as each part uses the gifts which God has given it. Beautiful! I'm also grateful for the wise, godly leadership that God has give our church. These men follow hard after Him, and we are so encouraged by their desire and vision to make Christ known.

We're now in our 6th year of homeschooling, and my heart rejoices that we have the privilege of teaching and training our boys. I think of the pioneers of homeschooling who were so alone in their endeavor. And then I think of the wide support base we've been given...our numerous homeschooling friends, our supportive families, a wonderful homeschool support group (a ministry of our church), internet access to educational support...we are indeed blessed. It's a delight to teach our boys about the history of the world and the wonders of astronomy and the parts of speech...but it's a far greater pleasure to see them growing in depth of character, hearing them develop convictions, watching them develop a heartbeat for God.

It's a privilege to work with and love the students of our youth group, too. I thank God for the pleasure of working closely with these kids who really long to know Him and make Him known to their friends.

God has granted me such godly mentors and role models. Some I know personally and interact with regularly; some I know only from afar. I praise Him for women like Carolyn Mahaney, Elizabeth George, Nancy Leigh DeMoss, and Emilie Barnes who have impacted my life and spoken God's Truth through their writings. I'm thankful for these women who have opened God's Word and taught me regarding my role as a wife and mommy. God has used them to change my life and expand my heart for our home.

I told you the list was endless...I'm still not done! I thank God for...

...our lovely home * "our" beautiful Lake * gifts, talents, and passions * traditions * testimonies of believers from the past * tea and coffee * memories * stuff that smells good ~ candles, soap, lotion, lilacs * warm sweaters * Mexican & Chinese food * Creativity * Dreams * Sunrises * Sunsets * Beauty of God's handiwork * Security...

...for these things and so many more, Father, I thank You...

0 comments: