Monday, December 4, 2006

The Gift

We enjoyed a lovely weekend filled with countless reminders of the Gift of God's Son.

Saturday was our church's annual Ladies' Christmas Brunch, complete with all those things that we women enjoy so much! Each year the tables are decorated by volunteer table designers, and the results are absolutely breathtaking! There are tables of elegance, whimsy, and tradition. There are tables that feature nativities, angels, winter scenes, and antiques. The tables are set with fine china, glimmering crystalware, and gleaming silverware. They feature festive holiday dishes and an invitation that seems to say, "Come, linger. I've been expecting you."

I believe this was my fifth year to decorate a table, and it is always one of my December highlights. I decorated in a red and white candycane theme this year, complete with red and white flowers with greens that appeared to be coming right out of a stack of festively wrapped gift boxes.

I'm unsure of the total number of ladies in attendance, but I believe the number nears 400. The best part of this day is that it is an outreach to the women in our lives. The speaker was fantastic, giving a soul-stirring message regarding this simple truth: The greater the gift, the greater the response.

God sent His Son as a free gift for me...and you. My heart breaks forth in loud exclamations of praise and thanksgiving as I ponder this truth! Yet I'm also convicted that so many times, I take His Gift for granted. I don't allow Jesus access to every part of my heart. I try to do things in my own strength. I don't look to Him to fulfill every need and longing I face.

The speaker told of shopping in a shop that featured oodles of ornaments...thousands and thousands of ornaments! There were ornaments of every kind...Santas and candycanes and angels and icicles; bears and birds and snowmen and musical notes. Yet as she searched...and searched...throughout the store, she was unable to find one nativity. Not a single one. Finally she discovered...on a low, seldom-seen shelf, a display of dusty nativity ornaments. In tears, she declared, "May this never be true of me. May I never relegate you to the bottom shelf of my life, Jesus." And through tears, I join her in that prayer.

Oh, there's so much festivity and celebration throughout these weeks. But may the traditions and the festivities never override the beautiful truth that "in the fullness of time, God sent forth His Son..." Galatians 4:4 May this Gift change us and captivate us, this Christmas and always.

0 comments: