Gathering with family and friends this time of year fills me with a particularly warm, cozy feeling. The beauty and traditions of autumn, combined with the anticipation and preparation for Thanksgiving and Christmas, make these months an especially sweet time to fellowship with loved ones.
One of my favorite entrees to share with family and friends during this time of year is a big pot of delicious homemade soup. I place a special order with our bakery a few days in advance, requesting individual sourdough bread bowls for each person. Then I simply slice off the top, hollow out the bowl, and fill it with steaming soup. I like to offer a couple of different soup options, letting them simmer away in crockpots until serving time. Low stress! One of our favorite soup recipes is Florentine Chicken Soup. I typically quadruple the recipe when sharing it with friends.
1 cup uncooked penne pasta
2 chicken breasts, cut in bite-sized pieces
4 c. chopped fresh spinach
1 jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4. tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
3/4 c. Alfredo sauce
3 tbsp. pesto
Parmesan cheese (optional)
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the chicken, spinach, red peppers, garlic powder, and pepper in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in the broth, Alfredo sauce and pesto; cook for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Drain pasta and add to the soup. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired. ***If preparing in crockpot, wait to add the pasta till right before serving.
Speaking of homemade soup, I fulfilled yet another of my annual traditions yesterday...except this tradition is one that's appreciated by only me. What's that, you ask?
One big kettle of Split Pea Soup...just for me!
You got that straight. I'm the only one in my family who cares for it. In fact, it's hard to find people anywhere who appreciate it. One time I ordered it in a restaurant, and the waitress wrinkled up her nose and questioned me, "Are you sure you want that?" Oh, yeah. So getting back to me personal pot of soup...each year I make one batch and freeze it in several individual containers for me to enjoy throughout the fall and winter. Aaahhhh...comfort food.
Hmmm...speaking of soup reminds me of the annual chili supper and cake auction we got to attend at church last night. Each year this event raises money for our Student Ministries' national or district youth conferences. The "auctioneer" is a friend of ours who does this whole comedy routine which is absolutely hysterical! Anyhow, the highlight of the night was a particular grasshopper fudge cake which sold for $500! We had such a blast with our church family. I frequently thank God for the blessing of loving, serving, and ministering with them.
Hope your weekend gatherings are filled with lots of love and joy!
Friday, September 28, 2007
Soup's On!
Posted by Nikki at 3:13 PM
Labels: autumn, from my kitchen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment