We've been down this road before....many, many times.
But it doesn't get any easier. In fact, I dare say it only gets more difficult.Oh, I've written about it at least once a year...perhaps to the point that I sound like a broken record. But you write about the ones you love; you write about the ones who deeply impact you and change you; you write about your kids. And that's what they are: These are our kids. And so I find I must write about them.
Each year we reach this point in the summer where our seniors...correction: college freshmen...are heading off to college. Some are going to state universities; others are going to Christan colleges. But the common factor is that many of them are sold-out and committed to making Jesus Christ known across their campuses.I've talked with them over coffee throughout these past days; I've listened to them share their hearts around a campfire. And my heart is so challenged and stirred as I hear them share the joy they've found in their quiet times; the fulfillment they've found in a love relationship with Jesus. I'm encouraged as I hear one of the guys share that he wants the world to be directed to Jesus by the way he shows His love. I'm brought to tears as I hear their desire to provide accountability to one another, knowing that college life isn't going to be a walk in the park.
I look at them---our kids---and I see, I hear they're ready. They're passionately pursuing Christ; they're ready to turn this world upside down with His love; they're ready to stand for Him and make a difference.But as much as they're ready, I question my own readiness, 'cause every year at this time I want to hang on. I don't want to let go. I want everything to remain the same. I like it that way.
But every year, I must be broken. I must allow God to have His way and trust Him with those I hold so close to my heart. Afterall, He loves them even more than their parents do. He loves them more than we do. And when they're on their own in a big new world, it's Him who will meet and provide for their needs. It's Him who will be their refuge and their strength. It's Him who must be their everything.And so once again, I find Him prying open my clenched fingers and asking, "Do you trust me?" Today it's with these ones we've loved and done life with for these past 11 years. In a few years, it will be with our own sons. And in many ways, I feel God is preparing me for that not-too-distant day when they'll be flying from our nest. And I pray that when that day comes, our boys...and their mom...will be ready.
To our kids ~ Can't wait to watch you soar! We love you dearly!
Take-Off
Hello and Goodbye
My Girls
(previous entries about our kids)
And there is nothing on earth
that I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my
heart and my portion forever."
Psalm 73:25-26
(the verses God impressed on my heart as a college freshman)
2 comments:
As I said my farewells to Zach again this morning, I realize that I don't know if I'll ever feel "ready". I always feel as though there is more to say, more to share...
And even though he's 22, there are always questions in my mind as to whether we've covered enough.
It gets a little easier, but never easy.
Hello Sweet Friend! I have given you a blog award if you are interested. (I know those goodbyes can take the wind out of your sails for a time...praying for you.) My blog has the details.
Jen
Post a Comment