Monday, June 29, 2009

Freckles

On a recent morning, I stood before the mirror to apply my make-up. As I leaned in, I kind of laughed inside as I was struck with an unmistakable truth. Over the course of our boys' baseball games that week, my freckles had sprouted!

Freckles (for me) are nothing new. They've been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. But throughout my childhood, it wasn't so easy to laugh them off. People often commented on my freckles...how cute they were, how sweet they were, how they made me look like Little Orphan Annie or Melissa Gilbert. That pacified me when I was little, but as I grew older, that "encouragement" didn't help. I was convinced everyone was lying. To me, my freckles were undesirable. ugly. distracting. I wanted pure, flawless skin like porcelain. I believed that my freckles were simply one of those areas where God had made a "mistake" in His creation of me.

We all have those areas of our lives, don't we? Areas in which we're dissatisfied, discontent, or simply angry. Areas where we feel we got the short end of the stick. Areas where we question what God was thinking.

But what people told me then (and I refused to believe) is what I've since come to understand and embrace. It's the truth in which I've come to rest, bask, and rejoice: I am a masterpiece. And so are you.

God wove and pieced me together bit by bit. He chose my eye color, skin tone, and nose. He created in me leanings and giftings and passions. And He sprinkled freckles across my face...evidence of His fingerprint upon my life.

And that's why I laughed on that recent day when I spied a fresh smattering of freckles across my nose and cheeks. Oh, I still don't LOVE my freckles, but I accept them. I'm content with them. And I'm glad for how they remind me that my identity doesn't come from what *I* perceive as the perfect look of beauty. I'm beautiful simply because God made me....and that's enough. I'm His princess. And the Bible says He's enthralled with my beauty.

"The Lord your God is with you,
He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
He will quiet you with his love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17
I'm asking Him to encourage you with this truth today...

6 comments:

Heather said...

You are beautiful, my friend. I laugh because I was always jealous of the kids that had freckles!!!

Love,
Heather

Clare said...

You ARE beautiful, dear Nikki.....inside and out. thanking God for you.
Love and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Nikki! Freckles were always the bane of my existence as well! I didn't want to be cute or adorable with my freckles (which made me think of the Wendy's girl), I wanted to be beautiful with a perfect compltion. My mom always told me they were kisses from God, which kinda backfired because it made me angry that God would kiss me so much. What REALLY didn't help was when someone told me that my "splattering of freckles... looked like chicken pox or the measles." No lie. I'm coming to accept my freckles as well, and this summer I'm hoping that they will all connect togeter and look like a nice tan :)

We've Got Scents said...

Stopped by to check on you and your family and this post made me think of a blog a sweet lady has started:
http://operationbeautiful.com/
Amazing what those 3 words can do!
And also Regina Franklin's book, "Who calls me beautiful" is a great read!
Pray all of you are doing well. Miss hearing from you...take care and have a wonderfully blessed Holiday Weekend,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MasonMoments said...

"George" feels the same way about his freckles and he is loaded. Everyone tells him how cute he is and he can't stand it! I continue to impress upon him exactly that -- God created him with freckles and he is a masterpiece. "Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?" Rom. 9:20

He looks much like me at that age but I adored having freckles, maybe because I knew I took after my Dad. Now though they aren't quite as cute but more splotchy. Oh well!

Your hair was so short as a little girl!

rainydaymichele said...

Your post makes me smile. I like freckles. I have a fewww...too. :)