When our boys were little, one of my favorite books to read to them was "Just In Case You Ever Wonder" by Max Lucado. I snuggled those little boys on my lap as I reminded them they were one-of-a-kind, designed by God. He'd chosen them just for our family. And while it seemed far off in the future, I reminded them that even when they were older and faced trials and disappointment, I'd be there for them to remind them that God is good. Very seldom did I make it through those heartfelt pages without getting teary-eyed. But from the youngest age possible, I wanted my boys to hear those heart affirmations. Like you, I wanted my children to know they were loved and wanted and accepted. I wanted them to know they had a cheerleader and a fan in me. And I wanted to point them to Jesus, the One who would never fail them or disappoint them.
This morning I was sifting through books on our shelves, pulling out favorite Easter titles for our book basket. I came across "Just In Case You Ever Wonder." It's been virtually untouched for several years. Afterall, I have big boys now. But I strongly sensed God telling me to pull it off the shelf and dust if off. I felt compelled to read it to our boys. They're not too old. They need to hear it.
Oh, I tell them I love them. Often. But this morning, I was reminded that they needed to hear my love is unconditional. When they blow it. When one spills a jug of milk all over the kitchen floor on a Monday morning and his mom overreacts. They need to hear humble, sincere apologies coupled with reminders that I'm there for them...just in case they ever wonder.
So unlike the readings of toddlerhood and preschool when our boys were somewhat oblivious to the truths being shared in this precious book, today there was understanding. rest. sweet assurance. And though they no longer snuggled on to my lap while we read, there was joint understanding as, together, we were reminded that even when life is hard, our God is good and faithful. He loves us unconditionally. Just in case we ever wonder.
Monday, March 1, 2010
Just In Case...
Posted by Nikki at 11:30 AM
Labels: boys, heart lessons
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
We love that book, too! Thanks for reminding me to get it out and read it again!
Love your new look, too! ;)
One of our favorites. I may need to pull that one out tomorrow. :)
What a beautiful testimony. I am going to have to find a copy of that for my children. My little ones aren't so little anymore. Jack is growing up right before my eyes....I feel like if I blink, I'll miss something.
Thank you for sharing this, Niki.
Kalli Baird
p.s. I don't have a google account, so I come up as "annonymous" as the sender. Hmmm...
I love that book. Ya know, I haven't pulled that one out in a long time. Maybe it's time to pull it off our shelves again too.
Your blog looks so "spring-y" and beautiful, Nikki. :)
*Sniff**Sniff*
XOXO
Post a Comment