Tuesday, August 24, 2010

darkness into light

During one of our morning runs last week, my friend and I spotted a sweet sight. An elderly couple pedaled past us on their tandem bicycle, listening to books on tape. I commented on what a beautiful idea it was for them to do that together, and my friend informed me that the husband is blind. Well, now that she mentioned it, I had noticed he was positioned on the backseat.

I've been thinking about that couple on and off the past few days. God keeps bringing them to mind. I don't know their story. I don't know how long that man has been without his sight. But regardless of the hows and the whens and the whys, I'm struck by the heart lesson this couple illustrates.

It seems to me that in order for this man to ride blindly behind his wife, he's learned to trust her. I'm guessing the first time he did it, he was somewhat wary. Yet he knew his wife loved him. He knew that she would watch for the pitfalls, the curves, the detours. He knew that even when he couldn't see what was up ahead, his wife was aware and wouldn't steer him wrong. He knew he could trust her.

It's obvious where I'm going with this. How often do I, figuratively speaking, sit blindly on my tandem bicycle, attempting to steer and lead the way? How often do I try to usurp control of my life, despite the fact that I can't see the big picture?

Yet when I stop fighting and resisting...when I take my proper place and allow God to lead---there is security and blessings untold. I have a loving Father who sees it all; a loving Father who is in control, leading the way, directing my path. I have a Father who, even when I can't see, knows what is best for me. And because of that, I can confidently throw my hands up in the air, feel the wind on my face---and know that I am safe.

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known,
along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;
I will turn the darkness into light before them
and make the rough places smooth.
These are the things I will do;
I will not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16

4 comments:

Amy Lu said...

Nikki, I think I know the couple. I had the husband for Social Studies in High School at North High.

Mr. Anderson and his lovely wife lived just down the street from my my childhood home. I don't remember his story, but I had a tremendous amount of respect for him, and loved his class.

I'm sure if talked to Bill H., he could tell you the whole story.

Carol L. (Amy's mom) said...

I agree with Amy Lu. Although I had him in junior high at Urban. He wasn't totally blind then, but pretty well there. They come into the library to get books on tape and he always walks with his hand on her shoulder.

Heather said...

Nikki … what wonderful words of wisdom … what a glorious picture you have put in my head of walking with the Father through this life… thank you!!

Jon said...

I love you, my dear. You find inspiration in the everyday. Everyday I find inspiration in you!