Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Bookends

One of my heroes of the faith is Susannah Spurgeon, wife of Charles Spurgeon who served as pastor at London's Metropolitan Tabernacle in the 1800's.  My favorite story---and the one that has impacted me the most profoundly over the years---tells how Spurgeon's ministry was thriving, yet he was concerned that he might be neglecting his young family at home.  He returned home unexpectedly one evening.  When he arrived, he discovered the house calm and quiet.  As he went up the stairs, he heard the voice of his wife praying with their children, naming them one by one.  As he heard her heart and witnessed the love in their home, Spurgeon thought, "I can go on with my work.  My children are well cared for."  ("God's High Calling for Women ~ John MacArthur)

Throughout my brief 16 years of motherhood, recollecting this story has put wind in my sails and a vision in my heart.  There were many times, early in motherhood, when I sometimes (ok, often) grew resentful of the things I seemingly "couldn't" do.  It sometimes felt like I was stuck with little people who neither understood nor appreciated my obvious "sacrifice."  Yes, motherhood shone a light on my long-neglected selfishness.  It wasn't pretty, to say the least. 

I'm so thankful that, early on, God broke in and convicted my heart.  He gave me a passion for my own children; a contentedness at home; a heart and a vision for the ministry that takes place here.  My husband and I are one.  We're equal.  But He's given us different spheres of influence.  He showed me that, in gladly discipling and shepherding our own boys in our home, I was freeing my husband to do ministry outside of our home.  My joy and satisfaction at home (or lack thereof) has a significant impact on my husband's ability to serve outside of it.  And somehow, in gladly embracing my role in caring for our home and family, I'm contributing large.  As Elizabeth George eludes, in filling and freeing my husband to serve without guilt, his service "out there" is my contribution--my gift--to society. 

What joy!  What satisfaction!  What beauty! 
What an amazing God that strategically created us to be bookends that work together, compliment one another, and bring glory to the gospel. 

"Her husband is known in the gates
when he sits among the elders of the land."
Proverbs 31:23

4 comments:

Paula said...

Thank you Nikki. Your testimony comes at just the right time as Tim goes back into "school year schedule" soon. It is sometimes hard to share him with those he teaches and ministers to ... Sometimes tempting to belittle the significance of what I do here at home. Thank you for the reminder of how you and I can bless our husbands and honor our God as we each serve according to His calling.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this!! Sometimes I wonder how much influence I'm having, as a stay-at-home wife (for now :) ) and homemaker. I really needed to hear that I'm having a bigger impact on the world than I think: simply by serving my husband and caring for our home.

And Mom, I love that you were the one to post right before me! I am so blessed to have women like both of you as examples for me. :) <3

Bonita said...

Love this!

caffeinatedkatie said...

Thank you for sharing that this morning, it was something that I needed to hear at the moment. Another perspective. Thank you