Monday, November 14, 2011

Learning

There is an incredible comfort in the words Paul wrote in Philippians 4.  I'd glossed over them for most of my life, but then God imprinted them indelibly on my heart. 

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound.  In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need."  Philippians 4:11-12

I have learned.

Thankfulness is not our natural response.  It's not our default setting, especially when facing the everyday hardships and trials of life. 

But our friend, Paul, speaks words of hope to my heart:  thankfulness can be learned.  Even...
  • on Monday mornings when everything is going wrong
  • at the end of the day when our strength is spent
  • when we receive the phone call that changes everything
  • when there's not enough money to pay the bills
  • when the child we love more than life itself tries to deny that love
  • when the diagnosis is bleak....
We can be---we can learn to be---thankful.

Whether low or abounding,
filled or hungry,
abundant or needy,
we can rest...be still...rejoice...be thankful:

thankful for His grace...faithfulness...love.
thankful that He's in control when everything's out of our control.
thankful for promises of new mercies...presence...strength;
peace...forgiveness...victory.

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.  Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.  The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:4-7

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this today, Nikki. I could have written this...and I so needed to hear it.

Paula said...

"I have learned the secret ... I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
I thank Him for you, Nikki... for what our Loving, Gracious Lord has helped me to learn through you!

May your day be filled with His peace,precious friend!

Anonymous said...

Once again, you encourage me. I miss you desperately...but hoping that we can sit down together...hopefully sooner than later. Love you tons!