Friday, December 9, 2011

[learning to embrace the chaos]

Wednesday afternoon found me muttering to myself as I made my 439th pick-up/drop-off of the afternoon.

Okay, so maybe that's a bit of an exagerration.

Most Wednesdays, I keep a pretty good sense of humor about my afternoon routine, laughing at the craziness of it all.  I even refer to my wheels and service as "Mom's Taxi."

The fact is, I think it's probably not much different from your schedule. 
It's simply called "being a mom."

But sometimes---ok, oftentimes---I'm selfish
(as evidenced when the needs of others occasionally infringe upon my obvious needs and desires [rolling eyes]).
Yup.  I'm often selfish.

I pick up our middle son and a friend at school and drop them off at Good News Club. 
I come home for a few minutes then return to school to pick up oldest son from school.
I return home for a few more minutes then return to Good News Club to pick up our middle son.
We return home and stay put for another hour or so before heading over to church for the night.

This Wednesday, instead of laughing about it, I found myself thinking, "I hate Wednesday afternoons!"

Fast forward to Thursday. 
My husband drops off our youngest son at church for his P.E. class.
I return an hour later to pick him up.
We come home for a couple hours,
then I take him back to church for his writing class.
Then I come home.
Then I return to church and pick him up an hour later.

And I found myself, again, muttering, "I don't like Thursdays!"

Today---Friday---arrived with promise.  Fridays are always a bit of a challenge, because by the time I arrive home from my run (and desperately in need of a shower) around 7ish, my two oldest boys are already habitating the bathroom with their own showers.  On other days, this is not a problem, but on Fridays, I need to be over to my Moms In Touch prayer time at the high school by 8:30.  Our hot water heater stubbornly refuses to offer hot water for more than 2 consecutive people, so I need to patiently wait my turn till after I've dropped our boys off at school and return home close to 8, frantically trying to get ready and get to my prayer group by 8:30. 

This morning I found myself thinking, "Friday mornings are so stressful!"

And at once, God put me in my place.

"You don't like Wednesdays. 
You don't like Thursdays.
You don't like Fridays.
What do you like, Nikki,
and what is it you want?
Yes, the schedule is a little crazy right now.
But someday, all too soon, you'll have
all the time and freedom you think you want.
Embrace and enjoy these days in all their glorious chaos,
for they are evidence that you're not in it alone.
You have the joy and blessing of living life
with these remarkable young men I've placed in your home.
They are healthy and strong and able to serve.
Be grateful for the life and the activity and the energy they bring.
Full days of life and people are evidence of My grace to you.
Don't waste them. Don't begrudge them. 
Rejoice in my good gifts to you."

I'm humbled.
And with new eyes and a fresh heart, I whisper,
"Yes, Lord.
Help me choose joy,
overflow with thankfulness,
and embrace all this glorious chaos.
You are, indeed, so very good to me."

7 comments:

Miles and Ang said...

Thanks for this post, Nikki. I was having one of those 'I hate it when daddy has to work late and I've gotten not even a second of quiet' days! This is just what I needed! Xoxo Angela

Nikki said...

I hear you, Angela. I remember those nights well (((hug))). Praying for strength, patience, and grace as you pour into your boys tonight. And asking God to give you some quiet moments of refreshment and renewal with Miles later. XOXO

Anonymous said...

One thing about all that driving here and there, you do have a captive audience! It seemed there were lots of times, Laura was more talkative during those car rides. Also, I'd be more than happy to give Ryan a ride home from GNC on Weds, when we're around---not a problem at all!

Paulette

Nikki said...

Agreed, Paulette ~ we do have some great (fun) conversations during the times the boys are with me! And thanks for your kind offer. I may take you up on it at some point, but for now, I think this is something God is using to teach me. Thanks, as always, for your loving investment in the lives of the women around you.

Christina said...

Yes this...thank you for your transparency! It sends me to my knees in thankfulness for the chaos that often whips through my home as well...Blessings to you!

Nikki said...

Thanks, Christina ~ we're in it together. :) Praying for you, too... XO

Bonita said...

I always thought that when my kids were in older grades, life would be so much easier than when they were little and so needy. Wrong! I had no idea how hectic things would get!

It does get a little better when they can drive themselves places, but this chaotic lifestyle seems to be a fact of life for most of us- at least for this season. It's taught me to be VERY flexible, but I don't get nearly as much done for my business as I'd like. My husband doesn't always "get" what I do with my time like he did when they were little. I just tell him and I come and I go.