Wednesday, June 6, 2012

[purpose]

Throughout recent days, I've been thinking about the purpose of my blog.
It occurred to me that without Jesus,
I've got nothing to offer you here.
Oh, I can bare my ever-changing emotions and feelings
(as unpredictable as the weather).
I can extend a lot of commiseration;
I can empathize with desperate hearts and
assure them I've been where they are.
Without Jesus,
I can try to make you feel better about yourself.
But at the end of the day,
what good is that?

Yes, I can be real and honest and raw.
After all, that's modeled for us repeatedly throughout the Psalms.
But there's always, always, always
truth and hope.
There's no wallowing in self-pity and hopelessness.
What good is it, my friends,
to bare my soul and my struggles and my fears if,
when it's all said and done,
there's no growing in truth and righteousness---
no evidence of Christ changing me---
taking this sinful, selfish life and
transforming it to look like His?
We don't need to wallow in defeat and hopelessness.
The God of the universe---my God---
is in the business of making everything new.
Including me.

So, I thank you for reading, friends.
I hope that when you come here,
you feel blessed and encouraged;
you feel a little less alone;
you receive new hope and passion
to love and invest in your family;
to make memories and 'be all there.'
Maybe you'll even get a new recipe or
a bit of inspiration as you create your haven.
But at the root of it all,
my heart's prayer and desire is that,
with each visit,
your eyes are directed to Jesus;
your heart is pointed to Truth,
your faith is bolstered,
and you're reminded that,
whatever it is you're facing---
whatever deep aches and pains you face---
our hope is in the holy God of the universe.
He is faithful.  He is able.  He is enough.
May our hearts beat solely and steadfastly for Him alone.

3 comments:

Anet said...

Nikki,
That was so beautifully written! YES! I do find all these things in your blog - you do point me to the Father. Thank you for the constant words of encouragement. THanks for taking the time to write and for laying it all out there. Keep writing!
Hugs to you my dear friend,
Annette

Unknown said...

This is what I try to remember with every post I write. It's not about me--it's about HIM, and Jesus is the only person who gives my life and writing purpose.

Thank you for this reminder to keep our priorities in order, with him first. And I agree with Annette--you definitely exhibit this in your blog. It's a constant witness to who God is and what he is doing in your life. I'm blessed to call you friend!

Gwen said...

Yes.