Friday, August 24, 2012

The Journey

In just over a week, we'll be starting the final leg of the homeschool journey that began in 2000.
Back then---shaky-legged and unsure---all we knew to do was to take the next step.
Despite my best efforts to tell God why it was a bad idea,
He had clearly led us down this road.
It wasn't that this was a better way or the only way---
it was simply the way He was directing our family.
And so with our sons---ages 5, 3, and 1---
and a whole lotta fear and trepidation, we began.

It was hard.
The terrain was rough.
The footing was unsure.

I was easily distracted.
I was looking off and away at what others around me were doing.
I was comparing my walk to theirs.
I second-guessed myself and doubted and feared.

But God simply assured me of His presence.
And He prodded me to take that next step.
When  my foot slipped,
He held me up.
When I was exhausted,
He renewed my strength.
When I was uncertain of my ability,
He reminded me of His sufficiency.

And He blessed.
Somehow---in spite of me---
the boys grew and flourished.
We all did.
Together we learned and gathered the tools needed for life,
building upon our solid foundation.
We didn't do it perfectly.
We made lots of mistakes.
But the journey that once seemed so unending and arduous
became the means by which God ushered in grace and new growth and deep connections.
Oh, it was still rocky and scary at times,
but as God often reminded me,
"He who called you is faithful;
He will surely do it." 1 Thessalonians 5:24
We were desperate for Him and leaning on Him each step of the way.
And He faithfully did what we could not.

Now, with two who have already flown from our little homeschool nest and our last who will take flight a year from now, I shake my head in utter amazement.
The time went so very fast.
But my wistful heart rejoices in the God
who called us and led us and equipped us to
launch our sons with purpose and passion.

Whatever you're facing, reading friends---
whether the journey is winding or rocky or uncertain---
take courage knowing that our God will not abandon you.
If He has called you,
step out in full confidence and obedience,
knowing that He is faithful.
He will surely do it.

2 comments:

Barb Scott said...

i love seeing these pictures of your little boys, makes me feel like I didn't miss so much. This was a very applicable post for me today, thank you.

Gwen said...

"The time went so very fast.
But my wistful heart rejoices in the God
who called us and led us and equipped us to
launch our sons with purpose and passion."

Yes, this.