When I was an impressionable, young high school girl,
Wayne Watson came out with an album that had a tremendous impact on my heart.
Though I was several years away from marrying or having children, his song Watercolour Ponies struck a chord with me.
And though I couldn't yet fully understand,
the message went down deep and penetrated my soul.
It rang in my heart when I became a mama, when I was gifted with those first primitive drawings from our son.
Though inside my head I was twisting and turning and trying to make sense of the rough drawing before me, outside I was smiling and thanking our son for a gift well done.
It took a place of honor on our fridge.
And I remembered.
The boys' heartfelt sentiments accompanied them.
With each drawing,
each painting they created,
I wanted to soak it all in.
Because as I'd heard so many years before,
those pictures would one day disappear,
as well as the little hands that made them.
I was delighted when I discovered a Watercolour Ponies picture book.
Snuggling with our boys on the couch,
reading its sentiments,
I longed for them to understand their value;
to understand how deeply they were loved and wanted.
I hoped they'd understand that even when they rode away many years from then, they knew without question that the foundation of their home was safe and secure;
that warm arms of love would always be extended to them in a place where their dad and mom loved them,
loved each other,
and most of all, loved Jesus.
It's been more than 25 years since I first heard the song that,
in many ways, would give perspective and balance to my mothering of boys.
The days that once stretched before me---seemingly endlessly---have accelerated at breakneck speed,
and now we're on the cusp of watching that first watercolour pony ride away.
But as we prepare to launch and release our sons, one at a time, my heart takes joy and courage in knowing that, by God's grace,we've sought to---imperfectly, I might add---invest and make the most of these days;
to love and extol Truth, direct eyes to Jesus, and model satisfaction in Him.
And as our boys begin to ride away, it's God who will finish the work He began in them;
it's God who will use our sons to leave a mark on this world that will cause others to see Him alone.
When it comes back to me and you?
They look a little less
Like little boys every day
Oh, the pleasure of watching
The children growing
Is mixed with a bitter cup
Of knowing the watercolour ponies
Will one day ride away
And the vision can get so narrow
As you view through your tiny world
And little victories can go by
With no applause
But in the greater evaluation
As they fly from your nest of love
May they mount up with wings
As eagles for His cause

2 comments:
Bittersweet ... So heart-warming to see the faith of our young adult children ... the fruit of our labor with the Lord in their lives. So heart-wrenching to have them "ride away". God is good...all the time.
His peace to you, precious friend!
I have never heard that song before. There are times when I want them back... to have "do overs", to do things better, more focused. And now as they have their own wives and homes, I pray that God will remind them of what we did right, that they will overlook our inadequacies, and continue to forgive us for when we fail.
Thank you for your honesty with your struggle - continue to allow God to have his way with them as they grow. The time to hold on, is during the hug! :)
Post a Comment