Wednesday, July 2, 2014

{15 and 1 month}

One month ago today, our Lukie turned 15.
A friend called me out on that not too long ago,
indicating that a man of Luke's age surely doesn't appreciate being called, "Lukie."
So I asked him.
And perhaps he was being polite.
And certainly he was being forbearing.
But whatever the case,
he made it clear that he was just fine with his mom still calling him Lukie.
And so I'm grateful, but at the same time, trying to wean myself from the name that's come so readily and easily for 15 years.

He's my baby, you know.
And yet, he's not.
For before my very eyes, this son of my heart has grown into a man this year.
He transitioned from home school to private high school.
Any doubts or questions I had about this transition were quickly put to rest.
For he flew.
High.
Mid-way through the year,
he told me his goal for the year was to be friendly to everyone in his school,
regardless of whether or not they were like him.
And he met that goal.
Whether serving on student council (as the new kid), acting in both school plays, or simply being his upbeat, happy self, he won the love and respect of everyone from the freshmen to the seniors---not to mention the teachers.
He has a unique way of connecting with people of all ages,
and it's evident that God continues to use his big heart, bright personality, and love for people to impact the world for Him.


This man-child has my heart.
I'm so glad I get to be his mom
and delight in the good work God is doing in and through him.

Happy {belated} 15th Birthday, Luke!
We love you like crazy.

1 comments:

Heather said...

He's a charmer that Lukie of yours - so thankful for the ways he touches so many. Happy belated birthday to your "baby"!