With every conversation, I'm reminded:
he's no longer a kid.
Not because he insists upon it.
Not because he makes a big deal of it.
But because each Sunday evening when our family of 5 gathers around our iPhones for FaceTime,
I see him. I hear him. And I marvel at him.
I see his eyes light up when he talks about playing on the worship team at his church or tutoring the kids in the projects.
I hear the passion in his voice as he talks about his life group and discipleship and sharing life together.
Walking across campus with him when we go to visit,
I note the obvious relationships he's built with the guys;
the mutual admiration and respect between them.
Sitting over steaming mugs in a coffeehouse,
I hear his dreams and plans and prayers.
I hear the things he's learning about God and the ways he's growing and the way things are clicking...and my heart spills over in joyful thanks.
For this man before me,
well, he grew beneath my heart, you know.
I was there when he took his first steps and when he began to run.
I sat beside him in the parking lot as he took his first drive.
And I was even there a year ago as he sat on the edge of our little nest,
preparing for lift-off.
Everything in me wanted to hold on;
to cling to him and never let go.
Today, his 20th birthday, has been bittersweet.
It's such utter joy to celebrate this son of my heart,
and yet my heart feels constricted on this first birthday I spend apart from him.
I was there for every one of his first 19 birthdays,
and on this 20th one, I'm celebrating from afar.
It was bound to come.
And it's good.
For as I watched him totter on the edge of our nest just over a year ago.
today I watch him soar.
No longer a kid.
No longer a teenager.
A man who has my respect and admiration and love and heart.
I rejoice in the man God is making him.
And forever I'll remain so thankful I get to be his mama.
Happy 20th Birthday, Drew.
We love you with all our hearts. xoxo
Monday, November 3, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment