Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Round 2

We're hurtling toward graduation season at break neck speed.  
And this year, once again, is more than significant,
as we have our very own graduate beneath our roof.

People tell me I'm experienced.
I've been down this road before.
It's true.
This time is I do have experience under my belt.
I have wisdom and age on my side (hah).  
I know what it's like to release.
But my heart's longing over these months is that Ryan knows that, no matter how much "experience" we might have, his leaving us is no less significant or heart-wrenching for his mom.

Sometimes I wish I could be like those parents who are nothing but enthusiastic and excited as their child graduates and leaves the nest.  
"This is what we raise them to do," I'm told.
And that's true. 
But for this mama, the joy of loving, raising, and nurturing each of these young men has been inexpressible. 
Oh, I've done other things.
But nothing has mattered as much.
Getting to be part of what God has done in shaping these young men is the great joy of my life.  
So I gladly anticipate all the ways He will use them to have high impact for Him around this globe. 
But selfishly, I miss their proximity; the playful banter we share; the life, fun, and excitement they bring to our home.  
As I've shared before, I'm still learning that each day is a giving up and surrendering them to the Lord.

As for these next two months, milestones and "lasts" will soon be occurring in rapid-fire succession.  
Of course, it will all culminate with that long-anticipated (at least for me) graduation party!  
Ryan has already been honored and recognized at a banquet where he received a presidential scholarship.  
His diligence and responsibility throughout his senior year have encouraged his dad and me so deeply.
We are excited to see how God will continue to open doors and lead over these final two months of his high school career.  
And even though I'm so-called "experienced," the depth and significance of these days is not lost.  
With a heart overflowing with so much love, I'm smiling through tears and thanking God for the extreme pleasure of being forever changed by a boy named Ryan.  




0 comments: