Sunday, August 20, 2006

Summer of Growth

Ah, summer is winding down. I feel almost like one of the kids as I mournfully bid farewell to the summer. We’ve had such great times and have grown in so many new ways throughout these past few months.

Our oldest son's paper route of last weekend was extended for a full week. It was a joy to see him develop depth of character as he learned how to deal with those accidental errors. He watched as his dad respectfully engaged and apologized to a man whose paper had not been delivered the previous day. He's learning to cope with these things head-on in a respectful manner, rather than ditching his responsibility and avoiding the confrontation.

Our middle son seems to have flourished over the summer, as well. He's always been a little on the shy side...a bit hesitant to engage people. But I've watched his confidence soar over the summer. He has some natural ability in baseball, and that skill seemed to boost his confidence and give him wings to fly. I'm finding that he's suddenly talking a mile a minute and shows little of the shyness that he'd previously displayed.

Our youngest son, likewise, has grown in new ways this summer. He's developing a heart for the lost, and this has brought great excitement to my heart. The boys have a particular little friend who doesn't know Christ as his Savior, and the older two boys struggle with the language and behavior of this boy when he visits. As I've discussed our role in this boy's life, our youngest son boldly proclaimed that God sends this boy to our house so that we can show Him Jesus' love and be a witness to him. I'm thrilled that at the age of 7, our son has his eyes on the fields.

This summer has been tough, too. Sometimes my heart is so heavy and burdened. I hear of those dear ones who are battling sickness, hurting in relationships, or dealing with the consequences of sin. But then there's my own areas of sin...those areas where I repeatedly fail; those areas where I cling to sin because it's easy or comfortable. I lash out in anger, I react when provoked, I waste time, I selfishly cry out for my wants, I exalt myself.

Over the past several months, I (slowly) read through James MacDonald's book entitled, "Gripped by the Greatness of God." Life-changing! Throughout the pages of Isaiah, I was impacted by the stark contrast of God's holiness and my sinfulness. I was confronted with the sin that I somehow manage to justify, and was awakened to the Ultimate, Sovereign Ruler over everything.

I joined Isaiah in declaring, "Woe is me."

How I thank God for His saving grace. I thank Him for making me His. My heart's longing is that He would ignite in me a passion for Him that will renew and transform my mind. As He occupies my mind, I know that right actions will follow.

So yes, it's been summer break, but the learning hasn't stopped. God has been faithfully shaping, molding, and conforming us to look more like Him.

0 comments: