I've been blogging for nearly two years. Throughout that time, I've shared much about my God...my husband...my boys...and our ministry. I've shared thoughts about marriage and friends and homeschooling and legacies and heirlooms.
It occurred to me recently, that with all that I've shared over the past 2 years, I've shared very little regarding one of my passions...one of the things that makes me tick. I was actually pretty shocked to make this realization, as not a day goes by that I'm not researching or reading about or absorbing something about this topic.
What is it, you ask? Cooking! Food! Cookbooks!
It's not difficult to see where I get my love for cooking. Even as a very little girl, I remember my maternal grandma's coat closet filled to the brim with cookbooks! This was the overflow of her regular kitchen cupboard! As her children continued to leave the nest, the cookbooks spilled over into a spare bedroom.
When I was engaged to be married, I received cookbooks from my grandma for shower gifts. These were especially meaningful, as my grandma had already read the cookbook, making notes such as "Good" or "Great!" beside recipes that struck her fancy.
Grandma has always been an adventurous cook, too. I recall her repeatedly trying new recipes over the years. There was never a fear of the same old boring meal for diners in her kitchen. She was ever trying new things.
And once again, I find myself gleefully guilty of being my grandma's granddaughter. In many ways, I'm just like her.
I think it probably began as a new bride. My husband was completing his final semester of college and delivering pizzas on the side. Though my mom (another excellent cook) had taught me well and given me a firm foundation in cooking, I was new to meal planning. All alone in a new (to me) city in Florida, I'd spend many days with crisp, new cookbooks spread out before me. I'd sift through the recipes, page after page, planning my week of menus and making my grocery list. I found this to be very relaxing...and very rewarding, as well!
Oh, I had my share of flops...like that nasty hot dog casserole I made. Or the time I set my cookbook on the stovetop and set it on fire. But there were a lot of rewards, as well. When we moved to our first youth pastorate in Ohio, I instantly made friends with Annette...a friend whose interest in recipes and food was comparable to mine! We shared many recipes over the years. I shyly began branching out and inviting friends over for dinner. And God taught me something: Cooking was not simply about filling stomachs. It was about filling hearts and giving and loving and serving. This was my ministry. This was something God called me to do. I remember, especially at that time, wondering what on earth I could do to minister during that season of life. I had small boys toddling around. I didn't want to be away from them for extended lengths of time, yet I wanted God to use me. Cooking was one of the means God gave me to serve Him.
Over the years, God has used my love for cooking to place me in roles of leadership with banquets, seminars, and teas. And I'm not exagerrating when I say that I read cookbooks...for fun. Just yesterday I returned from the library with a huge stack of cookbooks. I'm starting to plan the menu for our annual Sweetheart Banquet (held in February), so I'm trying to get fresh ideas and inspiration.
And believe it or not, while the whole country is in a tizzy about American Idol...who stays, who gets voted off...the real excitement for me comes later when The Next Food Network Star season begins! This is the contest that truly matters to me, and my husband and I watch each week with bated breath. Okay, mine bated...his maybe, not so much.
I'd intended to share a recipe within this post, but I got a bit long-winded , so I think I'll save it for another day. I will, however, be sharing more regular recipes, menus, and food ideas in future posts. And I hope you'll share your recipes and ideas with me!
In closing, I just want to add that while a lot of my crisp, new cookbooks from 15 years ago are somewhat tattered and splattered with food these days, a whole 'nother story unfolds from their pages. They tell a story of this young bride's love for her husband...and later, her boys ~ how I love cooking for and serving my family! They tell a story of family and friends and hospitality; of planning and nurturing and celebrating. They tell the story of a God who gifts and equips each one of us...who gives each of us a job to do within the Body. I'm so thankful that He is able to take something simple...such as cooking...and make of it something beautiful for His glory.
What are those things you're passionate about? What excites you? What makes you tick? How might those gifts be used of God to build and encourage the Body of Christ? Oh, it's a thrill to think about, isn't it?
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Passions and Gifts and the Kingdom
Posted by Nikki at 9:40 PM
Labels: from my kitchen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment