It's that time of year when my blog generally takes a hit. It's not that I don't have anything to say, mind you. It's simply that there's so very much going on and I don't have a lot of extra time to write about it. But for those who have been asking, here is a little update:
Kitchen prep for this year's Sweetheart Banquet, February 12 and 13, marches on. This year's theme? Big Band! Imagine the Glenn Miller Orchestra playing in a romantic old supper club...that's the feel! As always, our youth will be providing the entertainment (which includes old radio dramas, big band music, and even a little swing dance).
This year's menu: an assortment of dips and spreads with crackers and veggies, followed by a classic iceberg wedge (which really wasn't invented till 1950...but shhhh...don't tell), beef tips & mushrooms, whipped potatoes, garlic-buttered green beans, rolls, and strawberry lemon shortcake.
I've made more beef tips in a short span of time than I thought possible...tweaking, tweaking, tweaking to get them just right. I'm still not quite there. My guys are such good sports to be my dedicated taste testers ~ they absolutely deserve a reward!
I'm awed, overwhelmed, and truly grateful for all the people who have come forward to join the team and help me in the kitchen. I'm so thankful that we're never in it alone...God always raises up people to walk beside us, share the load, and spur us on!
On a related note, I've been trying my hand at various 40's hairstyles and find that I'm somewhat enamored with that period in our history. Love the hair...the makeup...the fashion!
Set-up and decorating begin on Sunday afternoon, and while the preparation and workload is immense, this is always one of the highlights of the year! We're so glad to be able to provide an evening for adult couples where they'll be able to steal away, receive Biblical encouragement for their marriages, and focus on love, renewal, and commitment. Please be in prayer for all those in attendance!
2 comments:
Praying with you and wishing deeply that I could be your sidekick for these next several days. Holding you close, as always.... Love you!
Nikki,
A few days ago when I saw the date February 14th God brought you to mind. I love that He gave me an update to how things were progressing. Praying for you and all that surrounds the banquet.
Please post a pic of the hair-do!
Much love,
Darla
Post a Comment