Thursday, August 16, 2012

[contemplating the empty nest]

The empty nest.
It conjures up all kinds of feelings and emotions.
While I generally don't make it a practice to write about things I've not yet lived or experienced,
I hope you'll extend me grace as I project myself a few years down the road and contemplate what's to come.

Our own empty nest isn't imminent.
With our oldest son about to begin his senior year of high school and our youngest preparing for 8th grade, we have a few years till our nest will indeed be empty.
And while I've openly shared my own heart's growing pains as we move through this new season of preparing to launch our firstborn (and each successive son who will follow soon after),
I can say with honesty and confidence:
I'm not afraid of the empty nest.
Yes, there will be tears
(likely more than I know).
Yes, we will miss our sons.
Yes, we'll awkwardly struggle to find a new normal.
But I'm not afraid.

You see, once upon a time---
nearly 21 years ago---
I stood face to face with my handsome groom.
Before God and a whole host of loved ones,
we made vows to one another.
We covenanted to love and remain faithful to one another,
no matter what.
Before I became our boys' mom,
I became Jon's wife.

And throughout our newlywed days
and blissful days and young parent days
and frazzled days and hard days and good days
and crazy days and changing days,
we---by God's grace---have continued to build and invest in our relationship.
Sometimes we've done it better than others.
But to this day,
Jon is still my best friend in the world;
the one who knows me better than anybody;
the one for whom my heart beats and longs and rejoices.

I've often stated that I'm thankful for bold, strong friends a bit ahead of me in the parenting journey.
They have modeled joy and contentment and fulfillment as the nest empties.
It's not because they don't love their kids.
It's not that they don't miss them.
But they've wisely planned and prepared.
They've invested in one another and their relationship even when their kids were small;
even when schedules made it more of a challenge than it once was;
even when those around them had settled into a bitter mediocrity.
It took careful time and planning.
But they remembered that, even after the kids were gone,
the two of them would remain.
And they made sure that when that time came,
they still both knew and liked each other.

Dear fellow mamas, no matter whether you're just beginning the parenting journey or have been at it for quite some time, do not neglect to prioritize time and build your relationship with your husband.
You might think it's not a big deal right now.
You might think you'll tend to it later when there's more time.
But I implore you:
do it now.
Make time.
Date one another.
Talk to one another.
Encourage one another.
Pray for one another.
May our prioritization and our commitment to building strong marriages not only give our kids a sense of security,
but may they point our kids and a watching world to the unconditional, faithful love of Christ for His Church.

0 comments: