So the whirlwind that has been this past month has finally subsided (at least for the time being). In the midst of the almost constant graduation milestones and events, our youngest son celebrated his 14th birthday. This son is the one for whom birthdays are very important, and I deeply struggled with guilt over the fact that his birthday fell amidst such hectic and crazy days. I desperately longed for him to feel celebrated rather than overlooked or simply "squeezed in." So while our celebration took a simpler form this year, the heart, nostalgia, sentiment, and thankfulness were not at all lacking.
I'm convinced that a mom never stops viewing her lastborn child as "her baby." For while his voice has deepened, he's soared past me in height, and he's about to embark upon his high school career, I so often see him as the bright-eyed baby snuggling into his blankie on my lap while sucking his lower lip. Yet even as we continue moving forward, I rejoice in the way God has wired him and knit him together. My boy grown man. In many ways, he's so very much like his dad. He's not worried about what people think of him. It's a welcome balance to my tendency to overthink and analyze people's responses. He knows who God has made him to be. I admire his absolute comfort in speaking before a crowd of people, his giftedness in connecting with all ages, and his knack for confidently entering in to new scenarios (as evidenced by his unrestrained "joy" on the dance floor at a recent wedding). His fun-loving approach to life encourages and inspires me. For him, life is simply about people and connecting. He's happiest when surrounded by the people he loves.
He makes me laugh. Hard. Many times I've thought to myself, "What am I gonna do without this kid around to keep me laughing this fall?" As it's been just him and me for school the last two years, he's become sweetly in-tune to my heart. He's very sensitive to and aware of my heart needs. On more than one occasion, when sensing a particular situation might be tough for his mama's heart, he'll pat my back without pause or hesitation, gently questioning, "You ok?" Yup, he's gonna make a good husband someday.
| Luke (far left) with his brothers and friends at a recent wedding. They all served as ushers. |
Happy 14th Birthday, Lucas Jon!
We love you with all our hearts. xoxo


0 comments:
Post a Comment