Wednesday, June 12, 2013

i just wanna celebrate {grad party}

I love a party.
So it probably comes as no surprise that I've been planning our firstborn son's graduation party for a while.
Now, when I say "while," I mean a loooooong time!
I vividly remember driving away from grad parties in years gone by.
Turning around to three little boy faces behind me,
I'd eagerly ask,
"So, boys, have you thought about what you'd like to serve at your graduation parties yet?"
To which firstborn son replied,
"Mom.  I'm 8."
Hence, this is what they put up with:
a slightly neurotic, sometimes overly zealous mom who simply wants to celebrate God's gracious hand in the lives of her family!

I had a blast putting together our son's grad party.
It didn't feel like work,
as it was so much my heart.
As his plans are to one day become a worship pastor,
I wanted to bring a music theme into the party.
I had a bunch of old cds to work with,
so I found a way to upcycle them for decorations.
Our son doesn't really care for cake,
so I opted for a cookie bar.

A sweet time of prayer before the festivities got underway
Many friends helped make this happen by offering their help and services.
Several of the same friends offered to serve and keep the food flowing throughout the party so that I could greet our guests.  My heart & soul friend even traveled all the way from Minnesota to serve and simply be here for me.
There are no words.
While the tears never fell at the actual graduation ceremony,
they flowed freely this weekend at the party.
Being surrounded by all those who have poured into and invested in our son was humbling and overwhelming (in a good way).
Seeing and feeling all the love and support they have for him and our family filled my heart to overflowing.
What a joy to celebrate God's abundant, never-ending grace!


I saved each of our boys' outfits from their 3-month pictures.  At the time, I didn't know why.  But it sure was sweet to dig into my mementos and pull this one out for our party.  

Collage posters are the mom of a graduate's best friend!

Old cds made into graduation decor

Shutterfly books:  one featuring friends, the other family


Inexpensive (almost free) centerpieces:  I planted grass in old tin cans, wrapped them in scrapbook paper, and added a cd picture pick.
I transformed one of our old doors that was laying around the house into a chalkboard.  It made the perfect menu board.  


Cookie bar
Oh, one more thing.  Sunday afternoon, the day after the party, we sat around our table eating leftover carnitas for lunch.  Good-naturedly, I started quizzing our middle son (who graduates in two years) about his graduation menu. You'll be happy to know we've got a menu.  Now to dream about pulling it off...

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Loved reading about your party! Everything looks amazing! I love too that your friend came to be with you! Very special!

Hugs to you!
Leslie

Jon said...

This day was so perfect. Nikki, I love you. Thanks for making everything perfect!

Your attention to detail shows Drew, Ryan, Luke and I that you love us. We love you!

Jon

Unknown said...

I love this! How fun that must have been! You are one fantastic mom. :)

By the way, I've nominated you for the Super-Sweet Blogging Award--don't feel obligated to pass it on, I just wanted to let you know! :) http://jaimie-livinginthelight.blogspot.com/2013/06/paying-it-sweetly-forward.html